The Tracy Anderson Method: “What Kind of Body are you in the Market for?”

by torontogirlwest on February 22, 2011

Hola Bloggies!

How are you? I hope you’ve been staying chill and injury free . . . wherever you are! wlEmoticon winkingsmile3 The Tracy Anderson Method: “What Kind of Body are you in the Market for?”

As for me, I’m slowly getting there. I paid the Doctor a visit yesterday and it turns out the original person I saw should have never told me to work out. Now, I’m restricted to water based exercises only and also the obvious upper body work.

I guess those endless walking lunges were a giant fail.

Armed with that new knowledge and some muscle relaxants I headed home. But FYI – muscle relaxants are not so bueno. In fact, I sat at work this morning feeling completely floaty and fuzzy. That’s why I took the afternoon off and rested up my back.

Tomorrow, I’m hoping to be able to hit up the pool. Eeeek! I’m nervous!

Guest Post Series

While, I’m out of commission Veronica has offered to do a guest post series! Yaaaaaaaaayyy!!!! wlEmoticon openmouthedsmile2 The Tracy Anderson Method: “What Kind of Body are you in the Market for?”

By way of background, Veronica is one of my oldest and closest friends. We go all the way back to High School in Toronto. She has seen me through some tears, cheers, and everything in between.

One of the things we both have in common is a love for fitness and a desire to improve ourselves. That’s why I’m excited to hear what she has to say in her very frank series about the Tracy Anderson Method, a favourite of celebrities like Gwyneth, Madonna, and Shakira.

What Kind of Body are you in the Market for?

What it’s all about!

As I try to make working out a way of life for the nth time, I’ve realized that the goal is no longer to just lose weight. I’m gunning for a certain type of thin: "teeny tiny" Gwyneth Paltrow thin.

The seed was planted when Tracy Anderson, Gwyneth’s trainer, was on Oprah some two years ago. She spoke of accessory muscles pulling things in and making a person "teeny tiny" through dance cardio and low weight, high rep exercises. They showed a clip. Gwen looked good doing it. I had to try it.

This was also during a time when I spent my days jogging or hanging out in my living room with Rodney, Jillian, Billy and the occasional Carmen. Adding dance cardio to the mix seemed like a good idea. I started with routine #1 and practiced it over and over again. Then I gave up. I didn’t like how fast it was and the fact that her moves changed when she’s "up to tempo". I also didn’t like doing routine #1 wrong over and over again. And that was that.

I gave up on the trainer (and working out in general) but I kept up with Gwyneth. I know her blog has drawn a lot of criticism,  but I love it. A couple months back she she posted testimonials about the miracles of Tracy’s method. Reading testimonials from Courtney Cox and Kirstin Davis made me think: they are looking better then ever. More girlish. Sexier. I had to try this workout. Again.

I started Tracy’s workout 5 weeks ago and have been keeping it up. What bothers me is that it has a scene with her talking about how she doesn’t like the muscular look on girls. I envision the girls on the P90X commercials and – this is the part that disturbs me – I nod in agreement. When did I develop a preference for which type of skinny? Do I even have a choice? I’m not even remotely skinny, so is it even possible that one day I would be "teeny tiny"? What about the last 10 years I’ve spent wishing for a P90X body? I’m somewhat troubled by all this. But in the end, I’m doing an hour of (dance) cardio a day and, in the short run, I guess that’s all I really care about.

Next time: I actually review Tracy Anderson’s Dance Cardio workout.

Question (from Toronto Girl West): What do you think of “The Method?” Have you heard of it? Would you be willing to try it? I have to confess, that I’m frankly disturbed by the talk of “teeny tiny” but I’m also open minded enough to realize, I shouldn’t knock it until I try it.

pixel The Tracy Anderson Method: “What Kind of Body are you in the Market for?”

nicole February 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm

How bout wedding fit???

Nice toned arms, stomach and legs.

And by Nov 12th!

;-)
nicole recently posted..Wedding Updates!

torontogirlwest February 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm

LOL wedding shape sounds great!!! :P

That Pink Girl February 22, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Hmm, I don’t really know anything about the Tracy Anderson method. But the fact that she mentioned “perfection is possible” twice before I turned the video off kinda bothered me.

Fitness isn’t about perfection for me. It’s about being strong, healthy and feeling good.
I’m curious to read her review of the workout!
That Pink Girl recently posted..Big Balls in Cowtown

torontogirlwest February 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I agree – catch phrases like “perfection is possible” or “teeny tiny” are grating. But her clients look good so maybe there’s something to it!

Carolyn February 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I kind of like my muscles!! =) I’m not much for “methods”…they’re a lot like fad diets.
Carolyn recently posted..Cyclopathology

torontogirlwest February 22, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I like muscles too!!!

And the truth is, she looks pretty toned herself!

Carolyn February 22, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Ah – I probably should have watched the clip! The catch-phrases turned me off.
Carolyn recently posted..Cyclopathology

kristen February 24, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m definitely turned off by the “teeny tiny” and the “perfection is possible”. I think both of those phrases are just asking for trouble and almost encouraging women to feel crappy about themselves before they even start.

I only know about her method from the video and from the interview I saw where she talked about no need to lift over something like 3 or 5 pounds or you might “bulk up” (I saw the interview awhile ago, so I might be remembering it wrong). The thing is- I think it really depends on your body. I know that I can lift MUCH more than 3-5 pounds without bulking up (heck, I’m no sure i COULD bulk up without spending all day every day in the gym and taking dangerous amounts of steroids).

That being said, she looks toned and fit and her clients look toned and fit. So there may be something to the method. I’d want to bleep out every mention of “perfect” and “tiny” if I had to listen to her though.
kristen recently posted..test anxiety

Veronica February 24, 2011 at 9:30 am

I agree with you about the bulking. I don’t think it is that easy to build serious amounts of muscle mass. But, having said that, I know what she is going for because I’ve done Tracy’s Mat Workout and it is all about using little to no weights and just keeping your arms up with various movements till it burns. There is definate toning going on. If there was a way to train for dancer arms (without actually training like a dancer), I think her way is it.

But yes, you are right, her use of “perfection” and “teeny tiny” isn’t as encouraging as she thinks it is and it actually makes people feel worse. Overall, I think it is more of a bad marketing strategy then it is a bad approach to fitness.

A great article about the Method is here:

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 24, 2011 at 9:51 am

I should admit that I don’t know anything about this “method” but I am not a fan of the “teeny tiny” part so I probably won’t bother to look into it any further. I am all for the muscular look on girls and will fully support anyone who promotes that though!

Josslyn March 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Any of you ladies give some advice on starting an exercise program? Not been active for some time now and the weight is taking its toll, want to find something to involve hubby also. any ideas?

Toronto Girl West March 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Have you tried any of the Biggest Loser workouts? They’re great for introductory stuff!

In the alternative, you can just get out and have fun! Play tennis, swim, walk, or hike! All that fun can add up to a lot of calories burned! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Tracy Anderson Method- Reviewing the Cardio DVD

Gwen September 3, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Where can I get these DVDs without paying over $50. I’m a mother of two n have been trying to shape up esp with the belly. Yes I think some of Tracy Andersons comments are inappropriate, however I can identify with her as I’m barely 5ft tall n gave birth twice. She must have something to offer given her overall look. I found Jillian michaels video good but she didn’t teach the appropriate method for working on the abs. After months using Jillians video, my arms looked great but my stomach started to bulge out into a ball….I didn’t do the ab workout correctly. There is lot to learn esp going through two pregnancies n gaining over 60lbs each time. Now if someone could help me find those Tracy Anderson videos for a fair price, I’m all ears.

Toronto Girl West September 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm

First of all, kudos to you for taking the necessary steps to take control of your health! I admire that in everyone but especially in busy mothers! :)

You can find a link to a list of free online Tracy videos at the end of this blog post: http://torontogirlwest.com/2011/02/the-tracy-anderson-method-reviewing-the-cardio-dvd/

Also, although the particular DVDs reviewed by Veronica are no longer available new you can buy them used (and for under $50!!!!) on the Amazon Marketplace.

Cheers! :)