Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

by torontogirlwest on June 25, 2011

IMG 2297 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Today, was a day I had been looking forward to for months – opening day of one of the local farmer’s markets here in the Rockies!

IMG 2300 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

I love farmer’s markets for a variety of reasons. Sure there’s the fantastic produce, delicious home-made concoctions, and beautiful arts and crafts . . . but the real reason I love farmer’s markets is that they allow me to feel part of a vibrant community.

IMG 2299 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

In that respect, the Cranbrook Farmer’s Market is a real win.

It manages to turn a small downtown street into a community of people that appreciate good food and love to support local vendors.

Those are my kind of people.

IMG 2319 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

On this occasion, I happily discovered a variety of stands selling everything from locally brewed gourmet coffee (majorly yummy) to potted plants.

IMG 23641 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23651 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

I wandered around for a bit taking pictures and enjoying the surroundings. But eventually it was time to get down to the business of why I was really at the Market; to support two vendors doing the market thing for the very first time!

IMG 23081 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23121 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

The first one was one of my co-workers, Andrew. Along with his beautiful daughters he will be selling made to order pizzas during the 2011 market season.

IMG 23021 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23061 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Andrew you see, is a renaissance man of sorts. He’s not only a fantastic lawyer but he also makes soap, yummy beer (and this is coming from a non-beer drinker), delicious bread, and now incredible pizza.

IMG 2315 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

In preparation for the Market, Andrew and his work crew daughters made 48 pizza dough servings. They packaged them up and arrived prepared to make pizzas to fit their customers’ fancies!

IMG 2321 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

The Husband sampled the Meat Lover’s Pizza and loved it!!! In fact he raved not only about the home-made sausage but also about the sauce.

Did I mention that Andrew and his girls make everything from scratch? We’re talking quality here.

IMG 2356 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

I sampled the Breakfast Pizza, which featured salsa, veggies (alternatively you could opt for bacon), and scrambled eggs.

This was my very first breakfast pizza and I really enjoyed the flavour combination! Although to be honest, the real star for me was the pizza crust itself.

Delicious!

Word has it that Andrew and his girls sold out of pizzas – congratulations to all three of them on a successful start to the Market season!!!

IMG 23251 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23261 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23381 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

The next person I was there to support, was Jenn of Cookies, Cupcakes, and Cardio – who was there selling cupcakes made by her bakery (JJ’s Custom Cakery).

Although, I had never met Jenn before today, we have been reading each other’s blogs for several months now. Happily, I discovered that she’s just as lovely and talented in person as she comes across on her blog.

IMG 23281 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23341 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23321 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Jenn’s stand was one of the most popular at the Market and it’s not hard to see why! Her selection of cupcakes was varied and absolutely tempting.

Confession time? I have had a cupcake craving for weeks now!! But I avoided making or buying any because I knew it would mean committing to a dozen. That’s why Jenn’s stand was absolutely perfect – it allowed me to indulge in that single cupcake of my dreams!

IMG 23511 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening DayIMG 23445 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

After some indecision I chose a vanilla-vanilla funfetti cake!

IMG 23531 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

The cupcake itself was moist, fresh, and seriously delicious.

I fear I may to workout extra hard on a daily basis, in order to justify what will no doubt become my weekly cupcake fix!

IMG 2372 thumb Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Opening day at the Market was an absolute blast and I can’t wait to see what other goodies the season brings!

Question: Do you frequent farmer’s markets? If so, what’s your favourite part about them?

pixel Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Simply Life June 26, 2011 at 7:38 am

Oh my gosh, what a fun market – everything looks great!
Simply Life recently posted..Clean Eating Chelsey: Vegan Yum Yum

Toronto Girl West June 26, 2011 at 10:00 pm

It was great!!! Really yummy actually!!! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) June 26, 2011 at 12:58 pm

WOW! You are fast chickie! How did you have time to get a post together already? Thank you so much for stopping by….I seriously LOVED meeting you! As soon as I saw you, I knew it was you…in the flesh! I can’t wait to get together soon. Ruby and Daisy will be great friends. I’m so glad you like the cupcake too.
Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) recently posted..KitchenAid Professional 5 Plus Vs. KitchenAid Classic Mixer Review

Toronto Girl West June 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm

lol I figured you would check the blog for a post and I KNEW Andrew would definitely be checking! So I wanted to make sure I got it up right away! :)

BTW, where do you teach spin?
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) June 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I was and your post was great!!!! I knew a bunch of people in the pics (besides you and me!) I’ve been baking cakes since 3:30 this afternoon, so I’m going to try to put my post on it together too. It deserves more thought though, so I’m going to hold off til tomorrow.
I teach spin at World Gym. I teach on the 5th…you should come!
Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) recently posted..S’mores Cookies

Toronto Girl West June 26, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I’m a member there! But haven’t been going that often because I was recuperating from a stress fracture!

I’ll be there! :) Time?
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) June 26, 2011 at 10:45 pm

5:15….that’s awesome!!! it’s my first spin since my surgery, so im not sure how it will go…but i’m sure i can fake my way through it!!!
Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) recently posted..S’mores Cookies

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 26, 2011 at 9:13 pm

So awesome! I LOVE the pizza dude – that would be heaven for me!!

Our farmers market stinks – it’s mostly all crafts. Not a fan!!

That being said Courtneay’s one is incredible! I LOVE it! I’ll be going there on Wednesday with the boy I am doing respite care with!! Can’t wait!
Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty recently posted..Super Easy Flourless Oatmeal Pancakes

Toronto Girl West June 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Our farmer’s market here can be a little sparse on the produce front this early on in the year; but thankfully the food that people make more than makes up for it! :)

But once the growing season starts going it’s really fantastic what you can find!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Bela June 27, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Those pizzas looked delicious!

I have been to a few farmers markets close by and they aren’t the best. There is one about an hour away that has alot of Mennonites are vendors and they have fabulous baked goods, real maple syrup and fresh veggies…..oh and my daughters fave Kettle Corn, delicious. Okay you just reminded me that we have to head out to that market and soon ;)
Bela recently posted..My Weekly Update

Toronto Girl West June 28, 2011 at 7:39 am

Hahaha! Your comment totally made me laugh! :)

Enjoy the Farmer’s Market!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Andrea June 28, 2011 at 6:35 am

Hooray! I know how much you were totally looking forward the market finally opening for the season. YaY! And it looks like it was amazing. I’m also making a breakfast pizza now! :D
Andrea recently posted..Dash for Donation 2011

Toronto Girl West June 28, 2011 at 7:43 am

Breakfast pizza FTW! ;)

And yup….I had been looking forward to market day for an uber long time!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Erna Jensen-Shill June 28, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Great photos, and wonderful posting! thank you, and please introduce yourself next time you are down at the market!
Erna Jensen-Shill, Manager,
Cranbrook Farmers Market

Toronto Girl West June 29, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’ll make sure to introduce myself this Saturday!

Thank-you for stopping by the blog! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

janice templeton June 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

hi, great post, loved your comments, and great pictures. didn’t really meet you but seen you and thought what a friendly person. hope to see you again sometime. (I’m the one in blue with the jewellery and dolls). a big thank you. janice templeton

Toronto Girl West June 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm

How funny that you randomly ended up in one of the pictures I featured!

It really is a wonderful little market; thanks largely, I’m sure, due to fantastic vendors such as yourself!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cranbrook Farmer’s Market – Opening Day

Marianne June 30, 2011 at 1:02 am

Gonna be honest – I’m eyeing up that maple one with the candied bacon, the coconut one, and what I believe might be a salted caramel cupcake peeking out in the corner there. Totally been obsessing over cupcakes lately – damn Cupcake Wars on the Food Network keeping me up at night.
Marianne recently posted..Vancouver Street Eats – Roaming Dragon

Toronto Girl West June 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

Totally meant to hit reply when I responded to your comment. Didn’t. Ooops!

See below for my reply! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Tracy Anderson for Beginners

Toronto Girl West June 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

lol Candied bacon would probably be pretty epic!!! ;) I’ll have the Husband give it a try and share his review!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Tracy Anderson for Beginners