Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

by torontogirlwest on August 2, 2011

It feels absolutely wonderful to be back friends! Don’t get me wrong, the vacation was glorious but there came a time when I was ready to go home.

We’ve been back for two days now and we’ve managed to mostly catch up with all the errands that piled up during our absence. Which of course means, I can get back to blogging!

For my first Oregon Road Trip entry I thought I would share with you some of the things I learned during our trip . . .

IMG 3447 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #1 – It’s not easy to incorporate lots of physical exercise into a road trip but it can be done. You just have to make it a priority and carve out time during your busy travel schedule.

IMG 3197 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #2 – Camping on the beach means falling asleep to the sound of crashing waves and being steps away from epic sunsets. In other words, it’s magical.

IMG 2992 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #3 – But no matter how fantastic beach camping is, I still refuse to take a shower in a public washroom. There. I said it. I have public washroom issues. Hence why after four nights we checked into a hotel.

IMG 3010 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #4 – If you’re really lucky, your burned roasted marshmallows will end up looking like dinosaurs!

IMG 3068 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #5 – Sometimes, despite your best efforts, the only starfish you will find will be in a souvenir shop.

IMG 3223 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #6 – It’s hard work judging The Great Oregon Chowder Challenge (2011) but someone has to do it! wlEmoticon winkingsmile Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

IMG 3262 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #7 – A little beach time is absolutely restorative for the soul!

IMG 3466 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #8 – Husband’s are even more handsome than usual,when they’re on vacation. True story.

IMG 3553 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #9 – The most amazing hamburger EVER (!!!) can be found in Eugene, Oregon.

IMG 2918 thumb Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Lesson #10 – By far, the best part of any vacation is the time you get to spend with your loved ones. Totally uninterrupted, stress-free, quality time.

Question: What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned in the last little while?

pixel Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Marianne August 3, 2011 at 12:15 am

Isn’t beach-side camping amazing? Being lulled to sleep by the waves is probably one of my favourite things.

My big lesson recently: I can have it all, just not all at the same time. Related: deciding what to say “no” to is really, really difficult.
Marianne recently posted..On the Road (Again)

Toronto Girl West August 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm

After our return, I tried falling asleep to the sound of waves on my iPhone. So not the same thing!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Lessons I Learned During our Oregon Road Trip

Marianne August 3, 2011 at 1:09 am

It’s my summer vacation from school – I try not to learn anything if at all possible ;)

Now, if I could get me a cup of that chowder….
Marianne recently posted..Happy BC Day!

Toronto Girl West August 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

HA! Well played! ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 3, 2011 at 11:19 am

awwwh so awesome! Glad you had fun!
I can’t wait to see the rest of all your photos!!
Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty recently posted..Empty the Pantry Granola!

Toronto Girl West August 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

We had a fantastic time!!!! :)

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair August 3, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I can’t wait to hear more about your roadtrip because I totally want to replicate next year for us. Love roadtripping and I’m dying to take Eric down the Oregon coast after driving just a little bit of it with my dad last fall!

Toronto Girl West August 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I’m going to try to figure out a way to put a map on tonight’s blog post showing our route. That way you guys can see what we did and what we recommend! :)

Bela August 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Awesome pictures and #10 is definately what I have learned about vacations…..nothing better than being with your loved ones!
Bela recently posted..Happy 14th Anniversary Sweetheart

Toronto Girl West August 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Amen! ;)

Susan August 4, 2011 at 9:11 am

Bahaha, I would still go camping with you again in a second ;)

MUST have that hamburger!!

Toronto Girl West August 5, 2011 at 3:03 pm

OMG Susan you would have died!!!!!!!!! It was like Banff Bison Burger good times 1000!!!!!!!!!!

And they had a whole slew of microbrews on tap!!! Your East Coast girl-self would have been in heaven! :)

Siobhan @ sio 'n the run August 5, 2011 at 7:36 am

Beach sleeps are SO magical!! I haven’t done that one in a long time!

Most important lesson in the last little while: you are stronger than you think you are.

Toronto Girl West August 5, 2011 at 3:04 pm

What a great lesson – hopefully it wasn’t too painful arriving at that conclusion! :)

Oh and I keep on daydreaming of sleeping on the beach again. Must. Replicate.

Kristen (inspiredbydooce) August 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm

That sounds like a fantastic vacation! I’m a little jealous even though I just came back from my own vacation.
Something I’ve learned this year: ask for what you want! The answer is yes more often than you think it will be.
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..they’ve got it (the right stuff): headin’ to NKOTBSB

Toronto Girl West August 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Your vacation looked totally epic!!!! PEI is just such a spectacular and idyllic place! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Oregon Coast Trip: The Route