How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

by torontogirlwest on September 27, 2011

Today, my work place made it official.

I have an offer in hand and within the next few months (likely for January 1st, 2012) my little family of three will be moving to Vancouver!!!!

I knew this was in the works. It was obviously only a matter of time but it still caught me by surprise. This has long been a dream of ours and it’s super exciting that it’s finally come to fruition.

And yet, I find myself worrying a little. Some of my concerns are rational, like wondering how we will manage to downsize our belongings into a city condo. And then there are the concerns that are ever so frivolous, like “I need a new wardrobe!!!!!”

Girl Paris  How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

You see, by day I’m a lawyer and like most lawyers I’m expected to look a certain way. But living in a small town with limited shopping has led my standards to slip.

It didn’t happen overnight, instead it was a rather gradual shift. But three years later I’m definitely not the stylish girl I was when I first arrived in the Rockies.

Bottom line? I’m absolutely determined not to look like the country mouse on a trip to the city. To that end I’m going to begin writing fashion posts on my blog, beginning with tonight’s tutorial on how to tie a scarf like a French woman.

Effortless Style

When I lived in Paris, I would often find myself marvelling over the incredible ways in which French women (and even men) tied their scarves.Β In North America, we tend to merely wrap them around our neck or fold them over our chest. Sure it’s functional but it’s definitely lacking a certain je ne sais quoi.

Grey Scarf How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

The thing about a beautiful scarf tied in an elegant way is that it can transform the most basic of outfits into something special. And the best part is that it can be done very cheaply.

Two Scarves How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

That’s why when I returned from Paris, I set about trying to learn how the French worked magic with a scarf. Aside from a few new tricks I was still at a loss, that was until last week when I came across an absolutely brilliant video by Wendy of Wendy’s Lookbook :

Isn’t it amazing!?!? It’s easily a new look for every workday in a month!!! I love it!!!!

Note: All pictures from my Pinterest account

Question: How would you describe your personal style? Does your work look accurately reflect who you are?

pixel How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

Marianne September 27, 2011 at 11:09 pm

LOL – style? What’s that? Do jeans, yoga pants, and hoodies count? Because that’s about all I’ve got :)
Marianne recently posted..The Third Farewell

Toronto Girl West September 28, 2011 at 8:07 am

You know I happen to think the ever present Lululemon look does count! Especially on the West Coast!!! ;)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

Jenn September 28, 2011 at 12:44 am

Congratulations! Yay for Vancouver!
That video was fun – loved the first 2 (3 if you count the double McQueen) scarves. But I was actually expecting little scarves (Hermes style) rather than the big ones. Though I wear the big ones more often so now I have some new tricks. Muhaha!

Toronto Girl West September 28, 2011 at 8:08 am

Thank-you for the congratulations! :)

Here’s hoping the new scarf tricks work out for you!!!! Muahahhaha is right! ;)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

kristen (inspiredbydooce) September 28, 2011 at 6:29 am

I can’t wait to watch the video and try out some of those scarf styles!

I live in a fairly stylish city but since I work from home, I find that I really have to work on NOT letting my wardrobe turn into sweatshirts and yoga pants because WOW it is comfortable to work in those now that I don’t have to worry about office wear!
On the other hand, because I have to worry less about buying a “work” wardrobe, I can spend more of my clothing dollars on “me” clothes.

I wear a lot of jeans and that IS me. I have a simple style- variations on the simple jeans and a t-shirt look :)
kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..dancing for cancer?

Toronto Girl West September 28, 2011 at 8:10 am

lol Part of me letting my standards slip might have to do something with wearing tights and Uggs on days when I know I’m just going to be in the office! :P

But you’re right – it’s so much easier to work like that!!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 28, 2011 at 6:44 am

Here`s how to deal with 2 problems at once. Sell some of your stuff so you can squeeze into a city condo and use the money to buy new clothes.

Toronto Girl West September 28, 2011 at 8:11 am

Truth be told we’re planning on donating most stuff. But yes – that’s definitely a great way to score money for new clothing! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

Siobhan @ sio 'n the run September 28, 2011 at 9:29 am

I LOVE this video! That’s amazing! I had no idea there were so many great ways to tie a scarf!
Siobhan @ sio ‘n the run recently posted..Challenge Accepted!

torontogirlwest September 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Isn’t it awesome!?!?! I had no idea either!!!! I’ve been trying a new look all week and I love that there are still so many more to go! :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

This is awesome on so many levels.

Going to get one of my 100 scarves to test it out with!

I find Pintrest and awesome place for fashion tips!
Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty recently posted..Seafood Feast

Toronto Girl West September 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I honestly haven’t really started using Pinterest for fashion tips – but something tells me I’ve barely scratched the surface of possibilities! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..How to Tie your Scarf Like a French Woman

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair September 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Awesome! I can’t wait to read more of your fashion posts. I am definitely a bit of a country mouse and tend to dress pretty casually outside of work. My work is business-casual so in the summer I wear a lot of dresses and in the winter I wear a lot of dark wash jeans and slacks with comfy blouses and long sleeves.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE scarfs and think they add so much to an outfit. I starred this post in my google reader and I’ll be back the next time I add a scarf to my outfit!
Amber from Girl with the Red Hair recently posted..Sleep Deprivation and Lululemon Gift Card Winner

torontogirlwest September 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Yaaayyy!!! Fashion post WIN! I’m so excited that you’re going to try some of the different scarf looks.

Plus, I’m thrilled to hear you’re excited for future posts! :)

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris September 30, 2011 at 12:14 am

Wow!! This video will be “my Bible” this fall..(we are in fall but with summer temperatures!)
How would I define my look? Casual chic? Studied nonchalance…?
Bon courage moving in and enjoy your new place!!!

torontogirlwest September 30, 2011 at 7:54 am

Thank-you Cristina!

It will be some time before we move to our new place but the whole packing and long distance house hunting process will definitely require some bon courage! ;)

cori December 2, 2012 at 7:39 am

wow – this was incredible.

talons hauts & cacao February 17, 2013 at 6:04 pm

j’adore tout simplement :-)

wisconsin cheese curds May 22, 2013 at 4:15 am

Blue Cheese has been used for wing recipes as a dip. I made the switch to goat cheese so more
people could enjoy the recipe, but I think I actually like the
taste of the goat cheese even better than the feta cheese.
Most red wine is not sold until it has been in the bottle for
at least two years.
wisconsin cheese curds recently posted..wisconsin cheese curds