Even When Your Thighs Touch

by torontogirlwest on November 14, 2011

Lately, I have developed a fixation of sorts with Pinterest. Looking for home inspiration? Pinterest can help you! Wondering where to go on your next vacation? Pinterest is there! Even when it comes to something as simple as make-up inspiration, Pinterest is the answer!

So it stands to reason that people would turn a website that allows you to “pin” inspiration shots into a source of health and wellness inspiration. And I’m no different.

Which is how this past weekend I found myself searching for “fitness” pins to add to my inspiration board. But you know what I discovered? A glaring reflection of what’s wrong with our society and how we have corrupted the minds of women everywhere.

While there are some pins that are motivational and speak to a healthy life-style there are just as many, if not more, that talk about #thinspo; short for thinspiration. A movement that glorifies not an ideal of healthfulness but something akin to anorexia or body dysmorphic disorder.

Perhaps what I found most disturbing is the comments from girls encouraging each other to reach their thinspiration goals. Cheering one another to achieve legs that an average person could wrap their hands around. Or supporting one another in the quest for pelvic bones that protrude through clothing.

It made me so very sad that I had no choice but to put my computer away.

But since then I have been thinking. About how we’ve got it all wrong. About how it’s okay to want to healthier. But it’s not okay to want to waste away to nothing.

Today, this kind of warped body image came to a head when Miley Cyrus tweeted a picture of Marilyn Monroe in reply to those that have called her fat over the last few months. Miley replied (and yes I’m quoting a former Disney Channel princess here) that you can be beautiful – even when you thighs touch.

And you know what? She’s absolutely right!

Crystal Renn Even When Your Thighs Touch

(source)

Strong is the New Skinny Even When Your Thighs Touch

(source)

I need to Love myself Even When Your Thighs Touch

(source)

Be happy Be healthy Even When Your Thighs Touch

(source)

Health is Even When Your Thighs Touch

(source)

Question: Where do you stand on the use of inspiration pictures of other people’s bodies as motivation? I have to confess I’ve always thought it perfectly harmless but what I’ve seen on Pinterest has truly frightened me!

pixel Even When Your Thighs Touch

That Pink Girl November 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Yes, there is some JUNK out on Pinterest, including images of “exercising” women that look less fit and more famine. I do have a “running” board, but I’ve tried only to pin pics of women that I admire, such as Kara Goucher or Lolo Jones. Yes, they have killer bodies, but because they are athletes, it because they did a “muffin top” workout! :0)
You’re absolutely right, photos of rando girls that aren’t strong but instead just thin, not the best image to look up to.
I’ll look for you on Pinterest!

Toronto Girl West November 16, 2011 at 9:59 pm

That’s the way it should be – looking up to women with killer bodies because they earned them through healthful living! Not starvation!!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Even When Your Thighs Touch

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I totally totally agree with you on the Pintrest thing, it bothers me too!! That top picture,, that chick is HOT!! Love her body!! I might actually print it off because it’s so realistic for me!! Thank you!

I work at a gym as you know, and I did the operation beautiful thing in the bathrooms, and leave blank sticky notes for people to write one, we have probably 100 sticky notes up, and NONE are about being skinny, they are about being happy with yourself now!! I get so much inpspiration from this!!
Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty recently posted..Vegan Moroccan Stew

Toronto Girl West November 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm

The girl on the top is Crystal Renn – basically a plus sized super model. And although she’s not small, I think she’s GORGEOUS! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Even When Your Thighs Touch

Beth November 15, 2011 at 4:31 am

I think it’s really sad that women and small girls are trying to reach an unattainable and unhealthy weight to look like magazine photos. Even those women arent real! pintrest is just one if the many sites that bring together an almost pro-anorexia or body dysmorphia group to support each other in their unhealthy goals.

Toronto Girl West November 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm

It’s too bad really – because Pinterest could be a place for healthy encouragement! But it’s been corrupted by some people!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Even When Your Thighs Touch

Kristen (inspiredbydooce) November 15, 2011 at 8:25 am

That makes me really sad. Protruding bones make me see someone as in need of help, not something to strive for. But I do know that there are people who need that help…so maybe someone who knows them will stumble across their pins and help them find what they need?
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..doesn’t get much better: snuggles with zoey

Toronto Girl West November 16, 2011 at 10:07 pm

There are some people who comment on the pins trying to offer help. My hope is that the girls who are pinning those images will reconsider their approach to weight loss and body image!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Even When Your Thighs Touch

AndreaClaire November 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm

The thing with those people on Pinterest is that with the internet, they would find each other and those pictures on any social media site. It’s not just a Pintrest problem :( It’s just a more open forum of visual proof of it. (As opposed to hidden blogs or locked facebook groups.)

I don’t think there is any harm in taking inspriation from images of healthy women (regardless of their actual dress size). But the key word in there is ‘healthy’. For my own inspiration, I found a picture of myself at an achievable, healthy size. I couldn’t tell you how much I weighed in that photo but I know that I look fit and healthy and that’s all I care about :)
AndreaClaire recently posted..Holding Steady

Toronto Girl West November 16, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I love using my own pictures as inspiration too!!!! That’s the best kind of inspiration there is!!!! ;)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Even When Your Thighs Touch