First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

by torontogirlwest on November 6, 2011

It’s hard to believe that our wedding was one year ago this week but it was!!!

Of course there are certain traditions that come with a first anniversary; like paper. apparently you’re supposed to give each other presents that have something to do with paper. The second year you give each other something made of cotton and the third leather . . . and so on until you hit diamond many years from now.

Another first anniversary tradition is that of eating your wedding cake topper which you oh so carefully saved a year prior.

Our Wedding Cake First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

Our wedding cake was a special order – it contained artificial vanilla (since I’m allergic to the real stuff), a mango filling, and icing piped to mimic the background of our wedding invitation suite.

Invitation Suite First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

I remember when I told the wedding coordinator that I wanted a top tier so I could take it home for the first anniversary. She told me it wouldn’t happen. That lots of brides had tried to bring a top tier home with them and all had been thwarted by airport security.

But there was nothing she could say to dissuade me. I had done my research and new that if I froze the cake and put it in my luggage it would all be alright.

Problem was that we weren’t going home straight away. We were going to continue honeymooning in Mexico and traveling through five more airports before we arrived back in our Rocky Mountain casa.

And so I gingerly wrapped the cake in three plain white plastic bags and carried it with me from one freezer to another. Until we got home and our cake resembled cake crumbs. But I didn’t care. I had my cake and the tradition would live on.

I had been looking forward to that cake all year; so tonight I decided to check on its well being in the back of my freezer. Only to discover it was gone.

GONE.

I burst into tears at the realization that the cleaning lady had inadvertedly thrown it out when she cleaned out our freezer. It’s not her fault – it looked like left overs and she was just doing her job.

Admittedly I gave myself about 10 minutes to cry it all out. And then something clicked.

Wedding Ceremony First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

I may not have the original cake topper anymore but that doesn’t really matter.

What matters are the vows that a handsome man and I said to each other . . . one year ago.

That’s what’s truly worth celebrating!!!

Question: Are you big on traditions? Which ones do you hold to and which ones do you think are fairly unimportant?

pixel First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

Jess @JessCantCook November 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I just got married weeks ago and we asked our caterer to save our top tier fully intending to freeze it for our 1 year anniversary. A few days later I remember we were about to move to California (did that this week!) and that transporting it would be a giant pain. Luckily I had been keeping it in the fridge and hadn’t frozen it yet, so we decided to have a little cake and wine party for our one week anniversary instead! The cake was still delicious, I’ve heard after a year it usually isn’t very good, and it was fun to have our own little tradition. We’ll still celebrate with cake and wine on our 1 year, it’ll just have to be homemade I think :)
Jess @JessCantCook recently posted..Our First Visitors!

torontogirlwest November 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I think that sounds perfectly lovely!!! And congratulations on your recent wedding btw!!!!! :)

Thankfully, one of my local friends has a custom cake shop and she’s on recreating it already. It won’t be the original but it will be delicious and go really well with the champagne we’ve been saving for a year now!! ;)

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair November 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Wow your cake was absolutely gorgeous!! So sorry this happened, what dedication you had carrying it all over Mexico!!
Amber from Girl with the Red Hair recently posted..Why I go to the chiropractor

torontogirlwest November 6, 2011 at 10:02 pm

You know what – it will make for a good story. It’s all good! :)

And thanks for the cake compliments – it was really delicious too. In fact, when we first watched the wedding movie I commented to the Husband during the reception scenes, “That cake was really yummy!” Then almost immediately the movie cut to the cake scene and you saw me eat a piece and mouth the words, “That’s good cake!” HA! Cracked us up!!! :P

AndreaClaire November 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

A friend did the same thing with her wedding cake. After a horrible ordeal with a crap baker (who made the cake way too small which resulted in a last minute Costco purchase of a slab cake), she carefully wrapped and froze the top layer. They had a family dinner for their first anniversary and the top slap was to be dessert. When they cut into it they found out that the first layer was styrofoam with icing on it!!

At least they didn’t pay for the cake.
AndreaClaire recently posted.."Back" At It

Toronto Girl West November 7, 2011 at 11:51 am

LOL Oh no!!!! I know I shouldn’t be laughing because I really do feel for her but oh man!!!

What a disaster!!!

Can she at least laugh about it now? :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

AndreaClaire November 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

She was able to laugh it off which impressed me because she can be quite the princess!

I think she just viewed it as the final chapter in her hilarious wedding cake story which included that baker telling her that he didn’t think she was serious when she said the cake had to feed 500 people (if you’ve never been in an Indian wedding, that’s totally normal) which is why he didn’t make the additional slab cakes she requested!
AndreaClaire recently posted.."Back" At It

Toronto Girl West November 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Silly baker – Indian weddings are HUGE!!!!! The one I went to a while ago had 700 people at the reception.

Well good for her – I guess that’s the thing about situations like these – in hindsight they’re not nearly as bad as they seem when you’re living through them! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

Taryn @ TheFitFlosser November 8, 2011 at 8:10 am

Congratulations on your one year wedding anniversary! That is fantastic!
Taryn @ TheFitFlosser recently posted..Manly Princess Cake

Toronto Girl West November 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

Gracias!! :)

BTW – I tried to write a comment on your blog yesterday but Blogger wouldn’t let me.
Toronto Girl West recently posted..First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

Kristen (inspiredbydooce) November 8, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Happy Anniversary!

I think we saved a few of our wedding cupcakes for about 6 months and then just decided to eat them. And they were delicious.

You have it right though- the stuff doesn’t matter, the commitment and your life together is what is important.
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..an unexpected PR- the Oka 10 K

Toronto Girl West November 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Kristen – I figured those were the right priorities! :)

How many years have you two been married?
Toronto Girl West recently posted..First Year Wedding Anniversary Traditions

Bela November 8, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I didn’t even think of saving our top tier of our wedding cake but my mom did and on our 1st anniversary she presented it to us. It was such a nice surprise! Next year is our 15th anniversary and we ae renewing our vows and I was thinking of getting a baker to replicate our wedding cake, its just an idea but I know people have done that for certain anniversaries. I follow some traditions, the ones I feel mean something to me.
Bela recently posted..First Post In New Home

Toronto Girl West November 8, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Oh you should totally have someone replicate your top tier! That would be extra lovely and very special for your daughter to see!!! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Going to the Sun

Khanyisa Ngobeni February 17, 2012 at 2:28 am

it feels like 2 weeks ago when i said i do to my handsome husband Aubrey, but yet time is flying more like a butterfly, on the 30th April is our 1st year wedding Anniversary, i remember my wedding day, everything was bright and it was a beatiful day, all eyes were on me, i was so beatiful, looking at my husband he was all i ever wanted. cant wait to announce to our friends,family that we did it!! our love never waited but gets better each second….

Toronto Girl West February 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Congratulations!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..A Birthday 10K in Stanley Park

seo December 18, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Excellent post! We are linking to this great content on our website.

Keep up the good writing.
seo recently posted..seo

Toronto Girl West December 19, 2013 at 10:44 am

Thank-you! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Back from China!!!

Yelp.ca October 2, 2014 at 5:32 am

r u sure that’s correct?
Yelp.ca recently posted..Yelp.ca