Live from Old San Juan

by torontogirlwest on November 19, 2011

Puerto Rico hills Live from Old San Juan

Hola amigos!!!!

After a short sojourn in Vancouver and one very long day of traveling, we have arrived in San Juan, Puerto Rico!!!!! icon smile Live from Old San Juan

Today was our first full day here and although we had plans to sleep in late we were woken up by a very efficient chamber maid at about 8am in the morning. Considering we got in past midnight I must have looked a sight when I stumbled into the hallway (with no contacts and still wearing my retainer) to ask her to come back later.

It was all good though because it forced us to get up and get going. Which doesn’t mean we moved quickly but it does mean we got to explore Old San Juan sooner than we had anticipated.

Old San Juan architecture Live from Old San Juan

Calle Old San Juan Live from Old San Juan

Casa Rosa San Juan Live from Old San Juan

Many years ago, I saw a commercial for Puerto Rico and ever since then I’ve wanted to visit. Today I finally got to live out my dream and believe me I wasn’t disappointed!!! In fact, I have to say Old San Juan totally surpassed my expectations.

I expected to see a Colonial locale by the sea. But I hadn’t braced myself for how immaculately restored the whole place was or how fantastic the views would be from El Morro (the old fortress on a cliff). And I definitely never anticipated a city that somehow managed to combine the best of North America and Latin America.

Couple Live from Old San Juan

Iglesia San Juan Live from Old San Juan

El Morro San Juan  Live from Old San Juan

We spent most of our day walking and eventually realized we were so tired our feet were starting to sting. So we headed into a local restaurant, had a seat at the bar and ordered a cool bevy.

Then this happened:

Mojito Live from Old San Juan

Oh yes it did!!! A freshly made Mojito in the Caribbean. It was delicious but it must have been a tad strong because shortly afterwards the Husband and I managed to fall asleep on a park bench. HA!!!! icon razz Live from Old San Juan

That’s right – because apparently that’s what young professionals do on their vacation: drink in the mid-afternoon and sleep in public locales. In other words, live it up like a hobo!

But don’t worry – we eventually regained our composure and enjoyed a spectacular sunset in a scenic overlook.

El Morro Live from Old San Juan

Castillo San Cristobal Live from Old San Juan

Fortaleza El Morro Live from Old San Juan

Sunset San Juan Live from Old San Juan

Based on our incredible day not only can I safely say that we would return to Puerto Rico in a heartbeat but we plan to recommend it to everyone we know!!!! icon smile Live from Old San Juan

That’s it for now friends – tomorrow we are heading out on the cruise which means you likely won’t hear from me for a whole week. But I plan on coming back with my fair share of stories to tell!

Question: If you’re American – what are your Thanksgiving plans? If you’re Canadian – do you plan on heading South for some Black Friday deals?

pixel Live from Old San Juan

Jo (livingmintgreen) November 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Gorgeous photos! So glad to hear you’re having an amazing time!!
Jo (livingmintgreen) recently posted..Apple Pie Bars

torontogirlwest November 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Oh it’s beyond lovely Jo!!!!! We’re so thrilled to be here!!! :)

AndreaClaire November 20, 2011 at 11:29 am

Puerto Rico, my heart’s devotion,
Let it sink back in the ocean.
Always a hurricane blowing,
Always the population growing…
And the money owing!

*DANCE BREAK!*

^This is why my friends don’t like to take me out in public very often :D The pictures are gorgeous! Enjoy as many mojitos as you can, they really do just taste better in the Caribbean.
AndreaClaire recently posted..Holding Steady

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:42 am

Ahahahah – this cracked me up to no end! Especially the dance break part! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Kristen (inspiredbydooce) November 21, 2011 at 7:05 am

WOW! It is beautiful… I hope you’re having a great time on your cruise.

I’m not heading south for Black Friday deals. I thought about it, but then decided I’d rather stay home and chill instead of fight traffic and crazy shoppers.
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..five things about me- part one

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:43 am

How about some Cyber Monday action? You can even do it in your PJs! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday November 21, 2011 at 8:48 am

Your pictures are gorgeous! It looks like a great vacation spot. I’ve never really given a thought to visiting Puerto Rico before now. How long were you there before you left for the cruise?

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:43 am

We were here for a bit over two days pre-cruise and we’re now back for four more! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Marianne November 23, 2011 at 12:15 am

I am jealous of your galavanting. I could so use a getaway right now…

And hell no, I’m not going down to the US for Black Friday. No sale is worth that wait in the border line up, that’s for sure! Plus I have to work.
Marianne recently posted..Fancy That – A Post!

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:44 am

Maybe we’ll do a Portland getaway in the Spring! That’s soonish!!! ;)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Diana November 23, 2011 at 10:24 am

Must be nice to have the money.

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:45 am

We are definitely blessed :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris November 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm

What a lovely place !! Now I feel I MUST visit Puerto Rico !
Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris recently posted..Wordless Monday: Lemon Meringue Pie

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:44 am

Oh it’s beautiful Cristina!!! You would LOVE it! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Bela November 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Looks beautiful. We are on a Christmas cruise in 31 days and our first stop was suppose to be San Juan but they cancelled that port, so disappointed, I was so looking forward to it!
OMG I will not go near the US for BF sales, I have lineups and crowds!
Bela recently posted..First Post In New Home

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:45 am

Oh no!!!! Did they change it to another Port? San Juan is simply beautiful so if you have the chance to come in the future – do! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete November 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Absolutely gorgeous pics!! It looks like you guys are having a blast! Enjoy the nice weather when you can, b/c it is cold up here in the north!
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..Ironman Arizona: The Swim

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:46 am

We are having a blast – it’s been seriously fantastic!!!!! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan

Simply Life November 27, 2011 at 4:15 am

oh my gosh, it looks absolutely GORGEOUS there! Great photos!!!
Simply Life recently posted..Our Trip To Europe!

Toronto Girl West November 27, 2011 at 6:46 am

Thank-you ever so much! ;)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Live from Old San Juan