Actually, I CAN.

by torontogirlwest on January 23, 2012

Bite me Actually, I CAN.

For the past two weeks I have been working through my lunch times. It’s not a good habit and I’m not proud. But it’s the truth.

There’s nothing healthy about barely getting up over the course of eight hours. A body is not designed to remain at rest for that long. Even a walk around the neighbourhood would do me some good.

So today I decided to do one better. I decided to check out a nearby gym.

At about 12:15 this afternoon I arrived at my destination. Chipper and eager. Ready to reach my goals and excited to see if this would be the place that would help me do it.

Shortly after my arrival I was set up with the owner of the gym. He was putting me through my paces when he casually asked if I had any injuries he should know about. I admitted that I had experienced my fair share of aches and pains, and I made particular note of the fact that I had some instabilities through the legs and general tightness. He didn’t really inquire further about it and instead kept on with the workout.

After about 45 minutes we proceeded to head to the mats to work on abs when he decided I was right about being tight and began to stretch me out instead. I absolutely needed the release so I was a happy camper.

During that downtime I took the opportunity to ask about their group personal fitness classes they planned to offer during lunchtimes. That’s when he told me that he thought those classes weren’t for me and that “they would kick my butt.” I casually laughed it off and decided to inquire generally about their more typical group sessions (things like yoga or bootcamp), when he once again told me that he thought they weren’t for me. Instead, he suggested some stretching and recumbent bike. No weight lifting because it would “bulk me up and shorten my muscles” and no elongating TRX type training because it would “kick my butt.”

By this point it was time to head back to work and I excused myself to make the short drive back to the office. That’s when my right contact decided to start floating around and refusing to settle. I tried driving but it wasn’t going well so I pulled back into the stall and called a friend to bring me my glasses. She had a witness interview scheduled so she said she’d send someone. Which she did. She sent my boss.

My boss had to drive to give me my glasses so I could come back to work.

Of course it took her a while to get there, which gave me plenty of time to think about what had happened. And I’m not going to lie – my heart felt sad. By the time I got home tonight, I downright wanted to cry.

I had NEVER been told I couldn’t do something. That it was too hard core for me. Or that it would kick my butt and I couldn’t handle it. And of all the people that I thought might say that, I NEVER dreamed a potential trainer would be the one to utter those words.

But you know what I’ve decided? That trainer/owner and his gym can bite me!

Try to tell me I can’t do it? I plan to make him eat his words! Because nothing tastes as good as success!

Watch me now . . .

Question: Have you ever had someone tell you that you couldn’t do something that you knew you could!??! Did you prove them wrong? Inspire me!

pixel Actually, I CAN.

Leigh January 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I would say make the owner eat his words! If I were you and he said that to me, my mouth would have dropped open and then I would have thought of a great comeback 10 minutes later. Don’t let him tell you what you are capable of! Prove him wrong! :)
Leigh recently posted..{weekend recap}

torontogirlwest January 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I TOTALLY intend to!! But not as his gym – he won’t be getting a penny from me!
torontogirlwest recently posted..Actually, I CAN.

Marianne January 23, 2012 at 10:40 pm

What a jerk! I agree that he shouldn’t get a penny of your money. The upside is that righteous anger is a wicked good motivator, so channel that can-do attitude!
Marianne recently posted..Early Mornings on the Seawall

torontogirlwest January 23, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Oh dude!!! You’ve no idea!!!! There’s NO way I’m letting him get the last word!!!

Bonnie January 24, 2012 at 12:43 am

Wow…I am shocked he said that to you! Honestly! Here’s the thing: women simply DO NOT have enough testosterone to “bulk up;” you will see amazing change with strength training and anyone CAN do it – you just start at whatever level you’re at and can build from there, injuries and weaknesses taken into consideration. And TRX is awesome too! You can modify every move to make it tougher or easier, so anyone can learn this. And bootcamps? So fun and they will push and inspire you! I’m getting bad vibes from this trainer/owner – you can most certainly do it and as a trainer and friend, I’m behind you! :D
Bonnie recently posted..Sharing Life

Toronto Girl West January 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

Wasn’t it just terrible of him!?!?

All of this after I told him I had an extensive background in weight training and had previously worked with a personal trainer for over three years. I more than know my way around a gym.

I was beyond shocked!!!

PS: Thank-you SO very much for the encouragement!!! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Actually, I CAN.

Andrea January 24, 2012 at 5:52 am

Oh girl that trainer can suck it. Damn. No one should ever say anything like that to someone else. I personally would find another gym because I wouldn’t want to give that ass more money.

You can do whatever you want! Wipe the floor with those suckers!
Andrea recently posted..Crab Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes

Toronto Girl West January 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

That’s sort of how I feel – I could pay for that gym but WHY!?!?!?
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Actually, I CAN.

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday January 24, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’m really surprised that the trainer would say that. I would think that he would at least recommend that you try a class! Any good group fitness instructor will give modifications to the moves in case they are too hard or too easy for the people taking the class. Come on buddy!
I’m especially surprised that he said no weight lifting. That’s not going to bulk you up! It will me you stronger and increase your metabolism. What a turd this guy was.

Toronto Girl West January 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I was shocked when he said no to group classes too. And truth be told I don’t really have any current injuries. Past ones yes. But I can work around any remaining issues!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Actually, I CAN.

Carolyn January 24, 2012 at 7:22 am

Ummm…a class “kicking your butt”??? Since when has a workout being *hard* dissuaded you? This guy sounds like a tool, and his advice isn’t even accurate! Fortunately, you realize it! God knows how many others he has managed to discourage with his attitude. There are plenty of gyms in the sea…this one is definitely not worth a second date.

Toronto Girl West January 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm

He just opened the gym – about two weeks ago. But yeah he definitely has to think twice about how he deals with people.

As for a workout kicking my butt – I’m up for the challenge!

Grumble . . . grumble . . . grumble . . .
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Actually, I CAN.

jenn January 24, 2012 at 8:50 am

What an awful awful person. Not to mention business person.

Toronto Girl West January 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Bad business sense for sure.
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Actually, I CAN.

KristyQ January 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Hey from Cranberry Corners :)

That is absolute BS and I can’t believe he would say that to you – you’re right to take your $ elsewhere. I encounter this attitude all the time, and it never fails to amaze me how deeply rooted our perception of ‘fitness’ is, and that these ‘fit people’ are allowed to comment on what we can or cannot do with our ‘unfit’ bodies. Continue to do your thing and enjoy yourself!

torontogirlwest January 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Thank-you for your supportive comment! You’re 100% right!!!!

Heidi Nicole January 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm

That is just ridiculous! I’m sorry you had to deal with that, and on your lunch break none the less. Not cool. That crazy person should have been encouraging you to give it a try and if they were genuinely concerned for your health/safety he would have suggested alternatives for certain moves or gotten you in contact with the class instructor. So yeah, I’m calling bull. Definitely give group classes a try and lift your little heart out, because you can! That guy was a jerk!
Heidi Nicole recently posted..Marathon Monday–Wk 1: Hydrate, YBDI

torontogirlwest January 28, 2012 at 9:09 am

You know I was incredibly surprised that he didn’t offer to set me up with a trainer or instructor either. It was all just a terrible turn off.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete February 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

Sorry, I’m so late catching up on your posts, but this got me so angry this morning!! That is UNACCEPTABLE behavior to be coming from a gym. If that happened to me, I would have sent forth a firestorm of bad press via twitter, facebook, and my blog. Being a group fitness instructor, I have never said anything like that to anyone wanting to work out regardless of their physical capabilities. I’m sorry that you had to deal with that. They need to know that isn’t right.

Just an FYI: TRX is a great class to take BECAUSE it caters to ALL fitness levels. So is spin. So are the majority of fitness classes out there.

Did you complain to the manager? If he doesn’t listen to you, take it to social media, girl. That seems to be the only way companies like that will listen and actually change…when they get bad press!
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..Hello Triathlon Season 2012

torontogirlwest February 13, 2012 at 10:54 pm

You want to hear something insane? It was the OWNER of the gym who said that to me!!!

And I agree it was unacceptable, which is why I told everyone at work about it. It’s a big workplace and word gets around. Considering that they were trying to attract my co-workers with special offers they blew it big time!

A place like that will never be successful!