Soirette Macarons & Tea – a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

by torontogirlwest on January 30, 2012

Soirette Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

Food is much like fashion –  what’s popular changes over time.

Macarons Vancouver Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

As far as desserts are concerned, for years now it’s been all about the cupcake. Well it’s time for the miniature cakes to step aside for the French macaron.

Nowadays, you can scarcely turn a corner in a large North American city without bumping into a shop selling their version of the French classic.

Soirette Vancouver Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

And while Vancouver certainly has a myriad of macaron purveyors not all are created equal. Because let’s be honest, any macaron flown halfway across the world to its point of sale is going to taste less than fresh.

Macarons and Ghost Chairs Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

An ideal macaron should be light, delicately sweet, slightly crunchy on the exterior slightly domed, and with beautiful feet. You see, a French macaron bears no resemblance to its American cousin; rather it is a meringue based confection that is the epitome of fine French pâtisserie.

A Selection of Macarons Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

And the perfect macaron is clearly Soirette’s specialty.

Glass Teapot  Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

On our visit, all three of us (one of which was a five year old boy) chose a variety of macarons ($2 per piece, $11.50 for six, and $22 for a dozen) for taste testing purposes. The 17 flavours on offer ranged from pistachio to passion fruit.

Plate of Macarons Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

Much to my surprise the matcha macaron was my absolute favourite. But regardless of your flavour preference, I doubt it’s possible to make a bad choice at Soirette.

Tea Pot Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

To pair with the macarons, Soirette offers a wide selection of exquisite teas ($2.75-3.00) blended in house. My Pink Champagne tea was a lovely accompaniment to my afternoon treat.

Hot Chocolate Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

For those looking for a richer beverage, there are decadent and plentiful servings of hot chocolate ($4-4.50) on the menu.

Delicious Macaron Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

Soirette is a beautiful establishment that seems straight from a jewellery box. Its macarons are the best I’ve had since I lived in Paris. And the beverages are perfect accompaniments to the delicate treats.

In fact, not only did the adults in our group walk away delighted but the five year old did too! He even said to the sales lady, “Thank-you! The cookie was delicious!

Note: Soirette is holding its grand opening on February 4th, 2012 between 10am and 4pm. Make sure to drop by for prizes and giveaways!

biglink Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

Question: Are you a fan of French macarons? What is your favourite type of French dessert?

pixel Soirette Macarons & Tea   a welcome addition to the Vancouver food scene

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday January 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Wow it looks really swanky!

torontogirlwest February 13, 2012 at 10:52 pm

But the best thing is the staff is totally down to earth!!

Kristen (inspiredbydooce) January 31, 2012 at 7:25 pm

mmmm….macarons….
There’s a random pizza shop at the market near me that sells really good macarons. When I go to Ottawa for visits, I get requests to bring them :)
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..better with bacon?

torontogirlwest February 13, 2012 at 10:54 pm

lol that is random! You should post about them on your blog! :)

Marianne February 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Another friend of mine tweeted about this place today. Perhaps I will have to check it out, although I’m not sure I get the whole infatuation with macarons. I’ve had a few, and they seem rather meh and overpriced for what you get. I think I like the cupcake craze better ;)
Marianne recently posted..Break Out The Wasabi!

torontogirlwest February 13, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Yeah they are pricey but they’re also time consuming so I guess it makes sense. Besides, these were really good and I rather spend my money on something high quality that I’ll actually enjoy! :)

Bela February 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Wow that place looks lovely and so do the macarons. I’ve never had one….I must try one!
Bela recently posted..Our Christmas Cruise Review – Part 3

torontogirlwest February 13, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Oh you should! They’re very meringue like with a hit of nut taste. lol Kind of hard to describe but super yummy! :P

Pam March 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm

The raspberry macarons were absolutely my favourite! And I tried 4 different kinds. Close second was the fleur de sel caramel.

Toronto Girl West March 13, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I hear the company was pretty fantastic too! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Rocking it Bombay Style at the Shangri-La, Vancouver

Soph October 19, 2012 at 3:02 am

This looks like a lovely place, please tell me where it is located in vancouver.

torontogirlwest October 22, 2012 at 12:44 am

Soph,

Soirette is located at 1433 West Pender, in Coal Harbour!

baking March 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm

They weren’t displayed long in my house, as I remember as soon as they were baked, they were eaten. Begin by preparing banana cake mix according to label directions, and fold in one cup of crisp crumbled bacon. When looking for centerpiece ideas, do not be afraid to venture into centerpiece ideas for all sorts of occasions.
baking recently posted..baking