Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

by torontogirlwest on February 25, 2012

Meat and Bread Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

I have to confess, when trying to come up with this post I was tempted to throw up the pictures and say “There was meat. There was bread. And it was GOOD!” Because honestly that would sum it all up right there but to be fair there is more of a back story to this review.

When we moved to Vancouver I started tweeting about our new adventures, that’s when the good people at Meat and Bread started to follow my tweets. Of course, I was curious as to who they were and clicked on over to their website. Turned out they were a small outfit located close to Vancouver’s Gastown that made nothing but sandwiches, and as I quickly gathered, just so happened to be the talk of the town.

I’m sure it comes as no surprise that I added their small restaurant to my must try list. But as the busy weeks went by, I still hadn’t managed to make my way over to Meat and Bread for a taste. That’s when I got word that they were going to be featured on an upcoming episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives – or Triple D as it’s known to fans of the show. Ultimately, the Husband and I decided to wait to see what the show had to say before trying Meat and Bread.

After the show aired, we were suitably impressed and so this afternoon we wandered over to Meat and Bread and joined the crowds clamouring for delicious pork goodness.

Meat and Bread line up Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

When we arrived the place was full yet manageable but by the time we left the line-up was way out the door and growing. If Meat and Bread was popular before they’re well on their way to cult like status after the Triple-D feature.

Interior Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

Inside we were greeted by a station where the sandwiches were assembled, a long counter where one pays, and one massively long table where you can eat. The space itself was designed to be urban, minimalist, and full of light. Honestly, I loved the whole feel of the place.

Meat and Bread Menu Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

The menu was simple and to the point, it featured four sandwiches and a grand total of three sides. Sure there wasn’t a lot to choose from but who can really quibble with a place that does only a few things but does them outstandingly well.

Meat and Bread Porchetta Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

The Husband and I both ordered the porchetta and looked on with sheer delight as the lady behind the counter sliced up the pork and placed it on a warm ciabatta bun.

Meat and Bread Order Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

On the side we also ordered one serving of their Thai vegetable soup and their potato salad.

Meat and Bread Counter Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

Our grand total came out to $13/pp (we didn’t order drinks) and while I know some would quibble that it’s too much money for a sandwich lunch, in my opinion the meal was worth every penny.

Porchetta Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

The potato salad was the best potato salad I have ever eaten. Period. Unfortunately, the Thai soup was a tad too salty for my liking.

The pork itself was incredibly juicy and fresh. The bun was warm and the perfect consistency for the meaty filling. The salsa verde that the shop adds to the porchetta gives a light vegetable touch to the sandwich. The only disappointment was the fact that neither of us got any crackling; ultimately I feel like I didn’t get the true Meat and Bread experience since I couldn’t enjoy the mixture of textures inside the bun. But don’t you worry . . . I intend to remedy that on a future trip to the restaurant!

Meat and Bread Card Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

Which is my way of telling you that the Husbanad I were both very impressed with Meat and Bread. Despite a couple of very minor issues with our order, our experience was excellent. If you find yourself in Vancouver I completely recommend you check out this fantastic sandwich shop located conveniently close to downtown.

biglink Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

Question: What is your favourite sandwich? Despite my order today, I’m generally a turkey with lots of veggies kind of girl!

pixel Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

Kelly February 26, 2012 at 6:24 am

I love Dinners, Drive ins and Dives- though I didn’t know it was called Triple D haha. Anyway, this place looks DELICIOUS and I am definitely going to try it when I am in Vancouver this summer! I don’t think $13 is bad for a good sandwich lunch personally :)
Kelly recently posted..Hiking Those Redrocks

torontogirlwest February 26, 2012 at 8:36 am

It’s REALLY yummy!!!! And located conveniently close to the waterfront so you could take your sandwich to go and eat it staring at the water and beautiful mountains! :)

Also, I’m guessing you’re passing through when out here for Amber’s wedding. Hopefully you’ll have a bit of free time because I would love to meet up!

Kristen (inspiredbydooce) February 26, 2012 at 6:32 am

Are those two people smooching in the the background of one of the pictures? I hope the delicious pork sandwich made them so happy that they were overcome with emotions and just had to confess their love for each other.

I enjoy many kinds of sandwiches – but I’m with you, I usually like lots of veggies them.
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..unbreakable – runners, not action stars

torontogirlwest February 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

Ahahahah – they are smooching! Frankly that’s why I posted that picture! :P

It’s like the juicy pork moves them the way beautiful scenery moves me. The Husband always jokes that I love him more when the views are really pretty!! HA!

Samantha Angela February 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

LOL the make-out picture jumped out at me right away.

Everything looks so good! Do they make their own bread?

Toronto Girl West February 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm

lol Oh the scandal of it all! :P

As for the bread – it’s the only thing they don’t make in house but I understand they purchase it from a nearby place called the Swiss Bakery. Either way I was really pleased with the bread and especially so because it was warm!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Tunes to Groove to Tuesday

Jo (livingmintgreen) February 26, 2012 at 8:32 am

Oh my goodness, I’m drooling over here! I really, really need to plan a culinary adventure trip to Van soon. You’re so lucky! : )
Jo (livingmintgreen) recently posted..The Descendants, DIY Green Tea Yogurt & more

torontogirlwest February 26, 2012 at 8:38 am

You know I was telling the Husband something similar yesterday – basically I was marvelling that trying this place out didn’t involve a long trip or anything! We just walked from our place!!!

I definitely <3 it here!!! ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty February 26, 2012 at 8:52 am

First off your pictures are GORGEOUS – wow – great job!

Totally doesn’t look like my kind of place, but the husband would LOVE it!! He’s a bread and meat guy for sure! He’d think he’d die and gone to heaven!

My favorite sandwhich is in Kelowna. It’s a massive veggie – with every typical vegetable, and then sundried tomatoes, hummus, artichoke (marinated)… it’s soooooo good!
Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty recently posted..Guest Post; Cappuccino Spice Cookies

torontogirlwest February 26, 2012 at 9:26 am

Gracias! :) The lighting in the place was awesome so it made for great pictures even though they were snapped while being herded along in a fast moving line! lol

Andrea February 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

Looks so good! We watched that episode and that day they also had a brisket sandwich on the menu which I would have been all over. I have been craving a great sandwich for a while now and everything there looks so fresh and amazing.
Andrea recently posted..Disappointing

torontogirlwest February 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh I told the Husband I want to try some of the daily specials too! Apparently, the Meat and Bread people update their menu on the website everyday. My plan is to stalk it and when I see something particularly delicious to head on down! :P

Erin February 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

That’s totally fun :) The food looks really good, esp the bread – whoa. My favorite sandwich is bread and cheese. LOL. I know, really cool – I don’t like sandwiches that much. Isn’t DDD so funny? xo Erin
Erin recently posted..Brief news bulletin

Toronto Girl West February 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I think DDD is hilarious and frankly a little gross sometimes! I can’t believe people eat some of that stuff! lol

Oh and apparently Meat and Bread has an excellent grilled cheese sandwich! I will have to order it sometime and report back! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Triple D Comes to Vancouver: Meat and Bread

Ashley February 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm

That is awesome that you posted about meat and bread. I go there all the time! It is really close to my office, and B and I go there and order the grilled cheese and the meatball, and then we share…. so good!

Toronto Girl West February 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I told the Husband I want to try the meatball one next time!!! Most people were having the porchetta but I’m really curious about the other options! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Tunes to Groove to Tuesday

Gillian February 28, 2012 at 7:26 am

Oh how I miss Vancouver (I’m a Vancouver girl in Toronto)! This place looks awesome! Have you been to the revamped Save On Meats yet? I’ve been watching Gastown Gamble and am eager to check it out as I’m a huge fan of Boneta by the same owner!
Gillian recently posted..Gillian’s Eats for a Week

Toronto Girl West February 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I haven’t gone to Save On Meats yet but I’m planning to soon! I’ll add it to my whole Triple D comes to Vancouver series! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Tunes to Groove to Tuesday

Marianne February 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I can’t believe I have yet to make my way here for a sandwich. Oh, and one of their maple bacon ice cream sammies (assuming they are still making those?).

Also, you have made me realize how badly I need a new camera. An almost 10 year old DSLR just doesn’t cut it anymore.
Marianne recently posted..The 2012 Wellness Show Recap

Toronto Girl West March 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I heart my camera but most of all I’m in love with my lens! 50mm 1.8 Swoon . . . . :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Tunes to Groove to Tuesday

Bela March 2, 2012 at 8:10 pm

You made me do a relook at the picture with the kissing couple…..LOL
Your sandwiches look delicious. I just tried Panera the other day, yes I am behind on the times. I love their Frontega Chicken on Focaccia, yummy! I am a chicken or turkey kinda girl and it needs to have some cheese ;)
Bela recently posted..Disney’s Royal Family 5K Race Recap

Toronto Girl West March 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm

lol Want to hear something sad? Despite all the times I’ve visited the U.S., I have never had Panera!!

Next time! ;)