I Used to Start Sentences That Way

by torontogirlwest on April 11, 2012

Something has happened in the last little while.

It started subtle at first. A stirring within me that told me that the status quo was no longer good enough. That something . . . scratch that . . . a lot needed to change.

After all, I’m the girl who worked her butt off while in law school and right after graduation to go from this:

The first Before I Used to Start Sentences That Way

To this:

The First After I Used to Start Sentences That Way

Only to end up somewhere in the middle, by the time I moved to Vancouver:

The second before I Used to Start Sentences That Way

I would like to pretend that I know entirely how I got from B to C but the truth is I don’t. For the rest of my days, I will remember watching the number on the scale go up overnight. Every night. And not small amounts either – most days it was pounds.

I wasn’t eating enough calories to justify that change and I certainly wasn’t a sloth but sure enough the change happened. My hunch is that my body was having a hard time dealing with the stress of our life in the Rockies . . .

But that’s not where the story ends.

Since moving to Vancouver three months ago, I feel more alive. Happier certainly. And definitely more in love with the Husband. I guess you call that being joyful.

And amidst that joy my body has reacted. I’ve noticed my shape start to change and the pounds slowly begin to melt away.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say I’m making my way towards my happy weight. But I’m not content to let my body slowly get there – I’m determined to help it along. Because I don’t want to be the girl who used to run . . . used to train like it was her job . . . used to eat like a saint . . . used to be thinner.

I want to be that girl again! In fact, I want to be that girl NOW!

So although you can still expect to read restaurant reviews and blog posts about travel, you should expect to see a whole lot more about health, wellness, clean eating, and fitness. Because that’s where my head is at right now.

It’s where it needs to be.

I do hope you’ll join me in this journey because let’s face it, I count on all of you for support! icon smile I Used to Start Sentences That Way

Question: Do you think you’ve reached your happy weight? Do you even believe there’s such a thing?

pixel I Used to Start Sentences That Way

Nick April 12, 2012 at 1:25 am

i am gonna blog such a response to this later…. you’re awesome Karen! you’re the one who finished her first run ever on a BROKEN ankle and refused to let your trainer stop you from doing it (even the whole time i was worried about this law student suing me :-P ).

I’m inspired by you, and very proud of you. You’re dedicated, smart, beautiful, caring, and can sue the crap outta me. through sickness, injury, new job away from home and whatever else life throws at you, you only ever come back stronger.

torontogirlwest April 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm

You’re a good man Nicholas. A very good man.

Thank-you for everything . . . throughout the years! I don’t know that I could have ever done any of this without you! And I’m not just saying that. :)

Amber April 12, 2012 at 10:22 am

My weight has been within the same 5 pound range for the last 1.5 years. Doesn’t seem to matter if I count calories and eat really well or if I eat lots of treats, it seems to be sticking around this place. I’m done trying to lose weight on the scale and my goal now is to tone up and lose inches. But if I never lost or gained another pound I would also be OK with where my body is!

I definitely think that our stress levels play a HUGE part in weight loss or gain. Good luck!

torontogirlwest April 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Gracias Amber! :)

And you’re right – before this experience I failed to realize the role of stress in my weight!

Karyn April 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm

My weight has increased over the past year and a half. Some of it I contribute to medication for my IBD and some of it is lack of focus on food and exercise. I’m working to lose those last 10 pounds.
Good luck on your journey! I will follow along!

torontogirlwest April 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Thank-you Karyn! :)

And I’ll follow along with you (I added you to my google reader)!

Carolyn April 12, 2012 at 5:14 pm

You glow no matter what, but I know you want more. =) You have it in you – obviously! I hope Vancouver continues to bless & inspire. Excited for you to maybe run again (?!).
Carolyn recently posted..Half-Baked

torontogirlwest April 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I’m all over that running thing again! :)

My next post will be about how I’m doing on that. I have to tell you, I feel very excited. This all feels like such a fantastic new start!

Diana April 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm

It sounds like you were not really very happy living in the Kootenays. I moved from Vancouver to Kimberley years ago and while I made amazing friends it was way too big a cultural change! The long winters and alck of shopping and restaurants really depressed me. Glad living on the west coast again is renewing your spirit!

torontogirlwest April 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I know exactly what it must have felt like for you. How long did you last?

Diana April 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

We lived there for 6 years. I have wonderful memories of time spent with friends-the people up there are great. Still not seeing our lawn until the end of April almost killed me.
(Cranbrook looks to have improved since we lived there so count yourself lucky!)

Love being back on the west coast (Victoria).

Toronto Girl West April 14, 2012 at 9:07 am

lol Yes the winters can be long! But since I’m from Toronto I really wasn’t bothered by that. But the Husband (who is from Victoria) nearly died!!! :P lol

And I can’t even imagine what Cranbrook was like before!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..I Used to Start Sentences That Way

AndreaClaire April 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

What? Less restaurant reviews and travel blogs? I’m out! ;)

I need a kick in the pants as well. While I wasn’t making the greatest progress in the world, I haven’t done ANYTHING since my back issues last November (and that was healed by Christmas). I know I’ve gained some (most *gulp*) back but I’m too scared to step on a scale to know exactly how much.

I’ll be cheering you on from Victoria (although with playoffs on right now, I’ll probably be cheering from my couch with a beer in my hand). You know you can do it!
AndreaClaire recently posted..While I Run Away to Seattle This Weekend…

torontogirlwest April 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Let’s face it – I’ll still be me! Which means there will still be food and travel a plenty! :) Just with a greater emphasis on the other stuff too!!!

PS: Back issues suck but I hear there’s still a trail with your name on it! ;)

AndreaClaire April 14, 2012 at 9:11 am

At the rate I’m going, I’ll be the first person to complete the hike with a walker!
AndreaClaire recently posted..Then Things Got Really Nerdy

Toronto Girl West April 14, 2012 at 9:24 am

Pish posh!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Truth About the Last Time you Went to the Gym

Bela April 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I am so happy that you are enjoying life and you can do anything you want to do, so I am right here to follow you on your journey!

Honestly I was happy with my weight just over 2 years ago, which was just before I started running. Before running I was all about cardio and weight training and I was 100 lbs, hard abs, it was beautiful. Then I decided I wanted to run and the whole refueling issue made me gain 10-15 lbs and that is where I have been for the last 2 years. I tried not refueling as much but then I feel weak and that is definately not good. So maybe this is what my weight needs to be at if I want to stay running. But I’d be much happier if I was down those 10-15 lbs :(
Bela recently posted..Harry’s Spring Run Off 8K Race Recap

torontogirlwest April 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Thank-you so much for the support Bela! :)

And can I just say I’ve seen my share of pictures of you and you are still in fantastic shape! I understand wanting to be lighter but honestly look at all you’ve accomplished since you started running – I find you inspiring! :)

Helene @healthyfrenchie April 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

I think despite my best efforts my body has found its happy weight.. I have been the same wight (give or take 3 kgs) for the last 7 yrs! Appart from stressful times, like now when I put on a bit more :(
Good luck with your healthy puisuits, I look forward to reading you :)
And I’m glad you are in a happier place now
Helene @healthyfrenchie recently posted..Why I love interval training :)

Toronto Girl West April 14, 2012 at 9:05 am

We are in a MUCH happier place!

Sometimes I used to think we would have stayed longer had we been in Invermere, Creston, or Fernie (all places I liked more than Cran.) but I think the bottom line is we’re more city and West-Coast type people! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..I Used to Start Sentences That Way

Helene @healthyfrenchie April 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

Sorry, for some reason I couldn’t correct my typo mistakes!
Helene @healthyfrenchie recently posted..Why I love interval training :)

Diana April 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm

From Cranbrook to Vancouver is a major change! I grew up in Vancouver and could not live there again. Victoria is a perfect compromise; it is all about finding what feels right to you. I went Vancouver-Kimberley….yes it was a shock. I cried at some point every winter. I don’t regret those years-met some wonderful people and hiked in some of the most beautiful spots on earth. Oh Cranbrook in the 80′s…..but it did have a Bay back then. The Tamarack mall-such a lovely place to hang out…with all the teenage mums! ;-)

torontogirlwest April 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Crazy how Cranbrook had a Bay back then – did you hear it’s one of the few places in the country getting a Target!?!? I also find that crazy!!! ;)

Colleen April 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I have never been at a weight that I’m okay with myself. I hope at the end of my journey, I’m finally happy- but part of me wonders if I will be. I think weight loss is so much more than just shedding pounds, it’s also shedding emotions that hold us back.
Colleen recently posted..Getting Back Into The Groove

torontogirlwest April 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I could not agree with you more. In fact, when I’ve gained weight it’s always been about so much more than how I ate or exercised!

Best of luck to you in your journey! :)