The Return of the Runner

by torontogirlwest on April 30, 2012

Waving at Runners The Return of the Runner

A few weeks ago, before the full weight of the flu symptoms hit me, I headed out to take pictures of Vancouver’s Sun Run.

The Sun Run is a huge deal in this city and features 50,000 participants!!!! It’s no surprise that it’s the largest race in Canada.

Runners The Return of the Runner

As I stood there taking pictures early that Sunday morning, I realized it had been over a year since I last ran. What began as a stress fracture induced hiatusย turned into plantar fasciitis and an undetermined leave of absence from the sport.

And while I can admit that at first I was sad not to be able to run it soon became a fact of life and I found myself embracing other forms of cardio (Zumba anyone?!?).

New Wave of Runners The Return of the Runner

Which is all to say I was alright with my status as a non-runner. Those days were behind me, I told myself. Surely I was better off without the stress of running on my body.

All lies.

Running Away The Return of the Runner

During the Sun Run 2012, each time a new wave of runners started I would feel those old undeniable emotions. That mixture of excitement, nerves, and adrenaline that told me I had to be out there!

Girls Running The Return of the Runner

So for the past few weeks, a couple of co-workers and I have been following a learn to run a 10k program. I’m starting from scratch but that’s okay – it feels absolutely glorious to be back pounding the pavement!!!

Sun Run 2012 The Return of the Runner

Because the next time 50,000 people run the streets of Vancouver – I intend to be out there!!! icon smile The Return of the Runner

Question: Have you ever taken an extended break from a sport you used to love? Did you ever go back? How did it feel?

pixel The Return of the Runner

Samantha Angela May 1, 2012 at 8:05 am

How have you been feeling since your return to running? Any pain?

Toronto Girl West May 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

That’s what the next post is about – no pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Return of the Runner

Carolyn May 1, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I was so happy to read this post!! I kinda knew it was coming. ;) Obviously it’s great that you can do it for exercise again, but it’s even more exciting that you can enjoy it! Sun Run, here you come! Yaaaaay!

Toronto Girl West May 2, 2012 at 10:15 am

I know!!! It’s so cool that I can enjoy it again – when I go out for pain free runs I can’t help but thinking that this is what it was like for normal people all along!!! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Return of the Runner

AndreaClaire May 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm

The day before you posted this, I made plans for a 10K at the end of August. I’ve been missing running to, but without a goal I was finding it easier just to sit on the couch. Here’s to getting back into running!

Maybe we’ll see each other at the Sun Run next year :)
AndreaClaire recently posted..Memories of a Mzungu

AndreaClaire May 1, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Ack. I hate finding typos after I hit ‘submit’.

I miss running toO.
AndreaClaire recently posted..Memories of a Mzungu

Toronto Girl West May 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

Sun Run 2013 it is!!! :D
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Return of the Runner

Marianne May 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I’m currently on a 4 year and counting hiatus from skating due to school. At first it was weird, because I had skated for all of eternity before that. But now I don’t know if I want to go back…it’s a big cost and time commitment, and I’m really enjoying doing other things with my free time now. I don’t think I ever really realized how much I gave up/missed out on to skate all those years. I don’t regret it, but I may not need it back in my life either.
Marianne recently posted..Taste Test: Natureโ€™s Path Carrot Cake Granola

Toronto Girl West May 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

I kind of get that – I feel the same way about playing an instrument. I played the flute and piccolo forever. Loved it and missed it like crazy after I stopped playing in orchestra. NowI think about picking it up but I know I would have to re-learn a lot of things and drive my condo neighbours crazy in the process.
Toronto Girl West recently posted..The Return of the Runner

Kristen May 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Sometimes an absence makes it feel that much better to do it again. Enjoy the return to running!
(and great pictures! the sun run sounds like a fun event!)
Kristen recently posted..montreal half marathon: yay for unexpected PRs

torontogirlwest May 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’m loving it – and you’re right – absence made the heart grow fonder! :)

Bronwyn May 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Yes, I had a similar running break. Not a stress fracture, but plantar fasciitis. And it’s really been a year of off and on running, with a real return to running just happening recently. It was like every time I tried, I just couldn’t get back into it for an extended period… But these days it’s good, I’m back in a running groove and starting to feel stronger.
Good luck with getting back into it!
Bronwyn recently posted..A little Running Story: Part I

torontogirlwest May 17, 2012 at 12:31 am

How did you get over your plantar issues? I’ve used orthotics and they’ve been a life saver but I’d love to hear what you did!