Barb’s Fish and Chips at Victoria’s Fisherman’s Wharf

by torontogirlwest on June 14, 2012

I will always remember my first airport shuttle transport from the Victoria airport to the city proper. A couple of things stand out for me, how wooded everything was, how incredibly different this island in the Pacific was from Toronto, and the recommendations of the driver to a couple inquiring about the best fish and chips.

Waving at the Wharf

You see, Victoria takes it’s fish and chips seriously. In fact, it takes anything British seriously. From the accents, to high tea, Victoria has the Britannia schtick nailed down pat.

Pointing at the Wharf

Of course, back then it hadn’t occurred to me to seek out fish and chips on the island but given the interest expressed by my fellow airport shuttle passengers, I knew I ought to listen to the answer.

Barb's Menu

And can you believe I managed to miss the name of the place he recommended?!?!? But I did manage to catch that it was on a barge in the middle of Fisherman’s Wharf.

Barb's

So a few days after my arrival, I set out for Fisherman’s Wharf in search of these famed fish and chips . . . and I hit the jackpot!

IMG 6348

Since that day nearly eight years ago, I have been visiting Barb’s Fish and Chips on Victoria’s Fisherman’s Wharf. The seafood has never failed to be anything but exquisitely fresh and the atmosphere (surrounded by a working wharf and Sleepless in Seattle type homes) is a definite bonus.

Wharf Victoria

Sure, the fish and chips are no longer as affordable as they once were but the truth is the price of halibut has gone up everywhere you look. And at the end of the day, I still believe a halibut (or local oyster) dinner is worth every penny!

Harbour Seal

As long as Barb’s exist, I will continue to return to Fisherman’s Wharf to enjoy my seafood, spend time with the harbour seals, and drink up the atmosphere.

Pirate Ship Kids

Honestly to me, there is no better way to spend a summer afternoon in Victoria.

Cute Water Taxi

Water Taxi 3

Water Taxi at the Wharf

Should you find yourself in Victoria between the months of April and October, do stop by and try Barb’s Fish and Chips. You can thank me later! :)

Barb's Place on Urbanspoon

Question: What would you say is the quintessential way to spend an afternoon in your hometown?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Siobhan @ SiobhanMcCarthy.ca June 14, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love fish & chips!! Because my mum and dad lived in Ireland and England they say that they are never happy with fish & chips in this country because they just aren’t made properly. By the sounds of it, I think Victoria could win them over!

Sounds delicious!
Siobhan @ SiobhanMcCarthy.ca recently posted..2 Races in 2 Days Recap Part One!

torontogirlwest June 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh Victoria is definitely the place to go for your parents!!! There are loads of excellent fish and chips places, all with their slight variations! :)

Emily @Emily's Olives June 14, 2012 at 9:02 am

Looks delicious! You are definitely making me want to go to Victoria! You should be on their tourist board hahahaha!
Emily @Emily’s Olives recently posted..Paprika Chicken + Run = Happiness

torontogirlwest June 14, 2012 at 10:54 am

lol You know what’s crazy? The weekend after I shot all these pictures, we went back to Victoria for one day…..to show a friend around. Gave him one fantastic tour! And I half-joked to the Husband that we should get in the tourist industry! :P

Taryn June 14, 2012 at 9:56 am

I think a trip to the island is in my summer agenda! It has been so long since I’ve been in Victoria that i can hardly remember all the cool sights and places it has to offer. By the way, i love all seafood but Cam is not a fan. Booo! :( I might have to join you on your seafood extravaganza while Cam sits on the sidelines. Lol! When are you two heading back to the mainland?

torontogirlwest June 14, 2012 at 10:54 am

These are actually pictures from our Victoria Day long weekend. I’m just slow as molasses at getting them up here! :P

And I’m always up for seafood adventures!!!! Just let me know!

Marianne June 15, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Fact – I have never eaten at Barb’s. Can you believe this? And I must say, I’m partial to Red Fish Blue Fish for my seaworthy delights whilst in Victoria anyways. Have you tried it? You must!
Marianne recently posted..Taste Test: Nature’s Path Carrot Cake Granola

torontogirlwest June 15, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I tried Red Fish Blue Fish when it first opened and LOVED it!!!! But my in-laws aren’t fans and I’m rather partial to the Fisherman’s Wharf atmosphere. But definitely, next time I’m in town I’ll stray from my usual! ;)

Any Vancouver fish and chip recommendations?

PS: Don’t be such a stranger! :)