Starfish and Tidal Pools

by torontogirlwest on June 15, 2012

Hello everyone!

This is the last entry of my Victoria Long Weekend Series. You can read the previous instalments here:

Return to the Scene of the Crime

Anchors Away

A Stroll in Victoria

Chosin Pottery: of gardens and beautiful pieces

Barb’s Fish and Chips at Victoria’s Fisherman’s Wharf

Puppy in the Grass Starfish and Tidal Pools

Our long weekend in Victoria had clearly been an absolute hit. We had laughed, walked until our feet hurt, ate some yummy delights, shopped a bit, and most of all relaxed.

Horseshoe Sign Starfish and Tidal Pools

There’s just something about being back on the Island that’s magical for me. Maybe it’s because it holds so many dear memories but it’s plain to see that I always feel happier after some quality time on its beautiful shores.

Coastal Landscape Starfish and Tidal Pools

Since we had pretty much done everything on our to-do list, we decided just to take it easy for the last day.

Crab on hand Starfish and Tidal Pools

We woke up late and had a leisurely brunch before meeting up with the rest of the family at a local horseshoe tournament. While my father-in-law finished playing (and winning the whole thing) the rest of us headed down to explore the tidal pools.

Starfish Starfish and Tidal Pools

That’s where I saw my very first starfish!!! It was huge (bigger than my outstretched hand) and purple!!! Nothing like I imagined it would be at all! A decidedly unexpected delight!

Kayaks Starfish and Tidal Pools

Spending the remains of our getaway by the ocean was perfect.

the Husband Starfish and Tidal Pools

And in those quiet moments I couldn’t help but count my blessings.

Pizza Starfish and Tidal Pools

This time last year, we were hoping to get back to the coast but unsure if it would really happen.

Waiting Area Starfish and Tidal Pools

And now that we’re here we can honestly say we’ve been blessed with everything we prayed for and more.

Ferry Starfish and Tidal Pools

Life is good, friends. Life is good . . . Β <3

Question: If you’re Canadian, do you have any Victoria Day traditions? And If you’re American, how do you celebrate Memorial Day?

pixel Starfish and Tidal Pools

Seattle Greg June 16, 2012 at 3:28 am

It’s been almost 10 years since I went to Victoria. All I remember was so relexed there.

JMR June 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hey nice post…
Starfish are cool especially when they’re that big!
Good pic of ‘the husband’ as well.
JM

Toronto Girl West June 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thank-you! :)

BTW, I’m eagerly awaiting the next episode of your Aconcagua posts!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Starfish and Tidal Pools

Helene @healthyfrenchie June 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Gorgeous pics as usual ;)
Looks like you had a blast!
Helene @healthyfrenchie recently posted..Huge news

Toronto Girl West June 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Awwww . . . that’s a lovely thing for you to say Helene! :)

PS: I’m still praying for good news!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Starfish and Tidal Pools

Siobhan June 17, 2012 at 5:41 pm

That starfish is so beautiful!! I love it!

I don’t have any Victoria Day traditions. Every year has a new adventure.
Siobhan recently posted..Season 9, Zodiac Time.

Toronto Girl West June 17, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I love that every year is a new adventure!!! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Starfish and Tidal Pools

Emily @Emily's Olives June 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

No Victoria Day traditions here! But it’s never too late to start one! Your pictures are beautiful! What kind of camera do you use Karen?
Emily @Emily’s Olives recently posted..Weird Science

torontogirlwest June 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thank-you so much for the compliment!!! :)

Most of the time I use my Canon Rebel XTi – although far more important than that is the lens I use. My favourite (I only have two) is my 50mm 1.8 Canon lens. Occasionally (like in the last photo on the above post) I will feature pictures taken with my Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens.

Marianne June 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Wait…you’ve never seen a starfish before?! How is that possible? Also, it is more correct to call them seastars, since technically they aren’t fish (yes, I’m still a fish nerd at heart).
Marianne recently posted..Taste Test: Nature’s Path Carrot Cake Granola

torontogirlwest June 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm

That’s what happens when you’re a Toronto girl – there are no lovely sea creatures to be had! ;)

And I rather like the name seastar – sounds kind of romantic! lol