Cherry Squares Recipe – a Christmas classic

by torontogirlwest on December 24, 2013

Cherry Squares Cherry Squares Recipe   a Christmas classic

Hello Everyone!!

It’s that most wonderful time of year again – Christmas!!! icon smile Cherry Squares Recipe   a Christmas classic A time to relish in family traditions. And so today, as my Christmas gift to you, I’m sharing a recipe that is a long-time favourite in my home.

When I was growing up, we were lucky enough to live for several years in an extremely tight knit and lovely neighbourhood. Every Christmas, after celebrating the Holiday with our particular families, we would all converge on the Heinemann’s home for delicious treats, and the exchanging of presents. It was at those gatherings that I was first introduced to cherry squares; they were a universal favourite that prompted my mom to ask for the recipe. And so began the tradition of making cherry squares every Christmas.

After I moved to British Columbia, I managed to forget about those squares. Then this Christmas, I found myself in my Coastal Casa daydreaming of home and all the lovely treats my mother would bake. That’s when I remembered the cherry squares, and asked my mom to send me the recipe.

Something magical happened when I made those squares. I was transported to my home in Toronto. To Christmases long ago, with my family of four.

And so my Christmas gift to you this year, is this recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have over the years!

Cherry Squares Recipe

1/2 cup of butter softened

1 cup of flour

pinch of salt

2 tablespoons of icing sugar

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease an 8×8 pan. Mix all the ingredients until combined and pat evenly into the pan. Bake until golden brown – time will vary according to your oven but it should take approximately 15-20 minutes. While the crust is baking, combine the rest of the ingredients for the squares.

2 eggs

1 cup of brown sugar

2 tablespoons of flour

1/2 teaspoon of almond extract

1/2 cup of chopped cherries (either maraschino or candied cherries will do)

1/2 cup of shredded coconut

3/4 cup of chopped walnuts

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour on top of the golden crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 325 F. Bake until the topping is set, and a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Cool, and cut into squares. Enjoy!

From my casa to yours, I hope you have the Merriest Christmas surrounded by love, and warmth (especially if you’re in Toronto)!! icon smile Cherry Squares Recipe   a Christmas classic

Question: Is there a particular baked treat that reminds you of Christmases growing up?

pixel Cherry Squares Recipe   a Christmas classic

Sharon December 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Beautiful post! I so know what you mean by neing transported. I make the fudge my mom would make every Christmas for my brother and sister and when it bubbles on the pot it literally smells like my childhood :) We are all so connected through food.
Sharon recently posted..Natural Cranberry Orange Air Freshener

Sharon December 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

*being
Sharon recently posted..Natural Cranberry Orange Air Freshener

Toronto Girl West December 25, 2013 at 1:51 pm

It’s so very true!!!! And I love that you get how very important food is to memories! Must be part of the reason I love your blog! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cherry Squares Recipe – a Christmas classic

Dina December 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

these look delicious!
Dina recently posted..Feast of the Seven Fishes

Toronto Girl West December 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Thank-you Dina! I made them again last night for Christmas Eve, and they were once again a hit!!! :)

Merry Christmas!!!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cherry Squares Recipe – a Christmas classic

Arman @ thebigmansworld December 26, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I will trade you Anzac Biscuits for those… ;)
Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted..Festive Truffles- Three ways

Toronto Girl West December 27, 2013 at 9:10 pm

lol Done! Way easier to make than Nanaimo bars! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cherry Squares Recipe – a Christmas classic

healthyfrenchie December 27, 2013 at 7:32 am

Yum! I get transported back when I make anything to do with chestnuts :)
healthyfrenchie recently posted..Joyeuses Fetes

Toronto Girl West December 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm

That totally makes sense, with you being French and all! :P
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cherry Squares Recipe – a Christmas classic

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) December 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

These look delicious! I don’t even like cherry flavoured things, but I want to try these from your pics!
Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) recently posted..New Year’s Ball Drop Cupcakes: New Years Cupcakes

Toronto Girl West December 29, 2013 at 6:25 pm

lol I’m not usually a cherry person either! In fact, under normal circumstances, you’ll never find me near a maraschino cherry! But these ones are delish!!! :)
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Cherry Squares Recipe – a Christmas classic

Marianne December 31, 2013 at 2:02 pm

My mom’s shortbread. She would always make two shapes – ones that were rectangular, pricked a few time with the tine of a fork for decoration. Then she would do round ones, and garnish them with red or green candied cherries. I never actually like the cherries, but always thought they looked festive :)
Marianne recently posted..Bacon Pancakes with Caramelized Cinnamon Apples

torontogirlwest December 31, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Awwww……shortbread memories are good memories! :)